"I am fine."
These are the words I am using most these days, as they are of the few I know well in Bengali. I am settling in here in South Asia, slowly acclimating to the heat (wow, and I thought Georgia was humid...) and enjoying very much the new friends and the tasty mangoes.
Overall, things have continued to progress smoothly. I have been here twelve days now, and I am still enjoying the newness of it all. Everyone has been incredibly nice and supportive, always informing me and giving me tips on how to live and manage while I am here. Learning the language is still an absolute must, however, and I am very thankful for my language coach, Smitha. She is about my age and we have already formed a sweet friendship. Below, she shows an ABC book we found at the grocery store - with a UGA doll for the letter "D"! I thought it was a good sign.
These are the words I am using most these days, as they are of the few I know well in Bengali. I am settling in here in South Asia, slowly acclimating to the heat (wow, and I thought Georgia was humid...) and enjoying very much the new friends and the tasty mangoes.
Overall, things have continued to progress smoothly. I have been here twelve days now, and I am still enjoying the newness of it all. Everyone has been incredibly nice and supportive, always informing me and giving me tips on how to live and manage while I am here. Learning the language is still an absolute must, however, and I am very thankful for my language coach, Smitha. She is about my age and we have already formed a sweet friendship. Below, she shows an ABC book we found at the grocery store - with a UGA doll for the letter "D"! I thought it was a good sign.
I am sorry, I do not yet have a decent photo of me modeling my new outfits, but here are some of them hanging in my wardrobe. Managing all the bright fabric draped over me as I perspire in the humidity has been a bit of a challenge, but I am surely becoming more accustomed to the native dress and even excited to embrace this new style.
Since the city of Dhaka is so dense with people, commerce and rickshaws, I have noticed that children often deem their rooftops as their playgrounds. I love that a child will innately discover some place to make play. Here is a little girl I spotted from my bedroom window blending into her concrete park. Being building neighbors, perhaps I'll try to meet her with a wave next time, although, she seems so distant from me when I peer down. Being here less than two weeks, I have perceived already the tightness of the family unit and the sense of community, but not with those that are different from you - from what I can tell, not with those of a different ethnic or language group, and not with foreigners...
I am acclimating to the stares and trying to pick up quickly on the Bengali chatter at lunchtime.
I am acclimating to the stares and trying to pick up quickly on the Bengali chatter at lunchtime.
Thank you for your emails and support as I transition here.
Every note and kind word is greatly appreciated.
More to come!
Every note and kind word is greatly appreciated.
More to come!

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Sara, So glad to see your posting .YAY can’t wait to see more of your adventures in pictures. I am sure you will be friends with that little girl soon. Stay safe. Love,MOm
ReplyDeleteso cool to see a bit of how it is there! i love the UGA doll, how random! we miss you sara!
ReplyDeletethings i still want to see:
you in one of those outfits
more pictures of your flat
food you've been eating
the streets of your city :)
we love you and know you're busy learning new things!
LOVE you and miss you. will write soon. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures!! Man those outfits look beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteHappy to see the new postings.
ReplyDeleteYou have had to adapt to so much in a short time. Love you lots