Adventures in Asia

Friday, August 13, 2010

Domestic Update.

Well, I have been settling in here, making myself a home and (somewhat of) a routine, and it has been busy! I have continued to work on my Bangla, a slow and frustrating process - but I find I am understanding a bit of what people say now, so that is encouraging. Below are a few photos and explanations of some things that are beginning to make this city "home" for me.

The Azoti Family

I have so enjoyed my time with my fellow neighbors from Togo, Antonin, Grace and Jerome. They have become my Bangladeshi family here, and we have enjoyed the experience of trying to adapt to Dhaka life together. Beyond being neighbors and Fellows together, we have shared some time laughing and praying together, and also some interesting conversations concerning culture, given I am bringing a Western perspective, they are bringing an African one, and we are living in an Asian country. I have truly treasured my time with them.


Here we have Jerome on a weekend morning. :) Spending time with him and his sweet and smart spirit has been so good for me. I love him.


Speaking of new family members, I have another two new additions in my Bangladeshi family. That's right Mom, I have TWO kittens! ;) They did not have any home, and I needed some roommates in my over-sized flat so the combination was perfect. One is named Ellow (background) and the other Mellow (foreground). "Ellowmellow" in Bangla means "messy," which is exactly what they are...but they are also so sweet. I am even working on toilet training them - updates to come on that front. Please notify me if you know anyone in Dhaka that wants a super sweet kitty, as I will have to give them up come December.


In the kitchen, I have been learning several new recipes and really working out my tongue in the spice department. It's either go spice or go home in this country, and I have to say, I am really gaining a stronger tolerance for spicy food. I have also been representing the USA by spreading some American recipes to my Bangladeshi friends, starting with brownies (of course). There is not much baking done here so I was quite fortunate to get a hold of a little tin treasure (shown in photo) that sits on top of the stovetop and works as an oven box. So far, there has been minimal failed experiments, and on the whole, the box works great. The most challenging part is finding substitutes for different things. I just found brown sugar at a store and that was a big deal. Chocolate chips are also not used/sold here at all because they would melt, I think (blatant note to those who would like to send care packages.. ;) ). Above is my friend and Bangla teacher, Smita, who is standing beside the first batch of brownies she has ever made.


I just love my rooftop view.

So there's a small taste of some of my everydays here in Dhaka. I pray I continue to adapt well to this very different culture and that each day it may become a little more home to me.

4 comments:

  1. aw cute kiddies! and cute kid! good to hear you're doing well sar! impressive cooking skills! i know all about the lack of food from living in norway. small things become worth so much in your mind. we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update Sara, I still wish I could see a good picture of you in your garb holding the kitties or something. I love all the bright colors your friends wear. We miss you and Deacon is jealous of the cats.Will have work on that care package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. QUERIDA SARA,
    ANTES DE NADA QUIERO DECIRTE QUE SOY LA MAMA DE ROMANINA Y TE ESCRIBO PARA FELICITARTE POR ESTA GRAN LABOR SOCIAL QUE ESTAS HACIENDO EN ESTA PARTE DEL MUNDO, TRABAJANDO Y APRENDIENDO NUEVAS CULTURAS, DIOS TE BENDIGA HOY Y SIEMPRE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great view of the city. I too want to see you on the rooftop in a colorful native dress holding that kitty with the wild ears.
    Love seeing your updates

    ReplyDelete